Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Things They Carried

 

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQVf8bFveT1dvLl3PyKBDw7YRfxOpK5QCSZomrt1Ad9vGSv6y_6g



When I saw the book cover, I knew the story was talking about the war. I expected the story was serious and depressing. After I read the first episode "The Things They Carried", I realized that my guess was wrong.
Jimmy was talking about what every body carried. he said they all carried different things, when they went on the mission. It was interesting how these things expressed people's character. Jimmy carried Martha's photographs and her letter. I can feel how much he loves her but same times he is impatient with his situation. Martha was far away and he can't do anything with her. That's why he said "I loved her but I hated her."
It was interesting to read that there were two stories. one described a mission that was serious and heavy. It talked about all kinds of weapons which is I really couldn't understand. Also how heavy they were to carry. the other one described how much Jimmy loved Martha and cared about the girl. But I thought his love was twisted in his mind. This mixture of the war & love story was interesting.
When Ted Lavender died, he should have been sad and grieved but because there was Martha in his mind, he didn't. I think his mind was still in New Jersey and it wasn't there. That's why he couldn't accept the reality.
By the end of this episode, he changed. he tried to forget his girl, Martha and accept reality and concentrate with what he is doing and what he should do.
I think that he described not only what they're carrying as in material, he was also trying to describe what they were carrying as in different kinds of feelings, such as love, nostalgia, sadness, happiness, and longing.
It was interesting to read this story. it was more than I expected.

Here is about Tim O'Brien  http://www.bookreporter.com/authors/au-obrien-tim.asp        

No comments:

Post a Comment