Sunday, February 6, 2011

After I read Sam Hamill's essay



http://pointofview.bluehighways.com/images/shamill.jpg


       After I read his essay, to be honest I really didn't like the topic. I know, it is reality and we have to know and we have to accept. But one thing, I did like reading about other people's experiences. So I enjoyed reading his essay and at the same time it made me think about so many problems we have in our world
       He said that "The battered child will grow into the child batterer" (Sam Hamill, "The necessity to speak"). I agree with him and most people repeat from generation to generation. But I don't think that all people become child batterers. Some people who battered a child realize that battering is not a good thing to do to other people. This is a famous story : When Hitler was little, he was a batterer child, too. He become a atrocious human being.
       He said, "The man who slips off his belt to spank his naughty child is about to commit felony assault" (Sam Hamil). I think, something is wrong with people these days. We need to perceive to know differences between abuse and nurturing. We can't spank our children? Even they do something really bad? I think, if adults overprotect children, they will not respect people(adults or teachers), they think they can do anything they want even it's wrong.
       We need to speak up, but it is not easy to do for some people. So, I think that it's wonderful thing that he is helping people to express their feeling with writing. Sometimes, when children have problem in their house, they can't speak up but they're trying to express their feeling with picture.
       I never experienced either abuse or domestic violence. So, i can't understand 100%, how they feel exactly but I can imagine that it must be a horrible thing. I hope we can teach our children about reality and violence. I hope someday, we can live in a world without violence. 

Here is more information about Sam Hamill   http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/sam-hamill 

No comments:

Post a Comment