Sunday, February 13, 2011

Responding to a poem - Blog Post

    The first one I chose "compendium of lost objects". by Nicole Cooley. There are three reasons I chose this poem (1) She uses many nouns as lost objects. Like, "Not the butterfly wing, the semiprecious stones, the shade of mirror" (Line 1-2), (2) She uses some colors in the poem. "or the pink- shuttered house on the streetcar line where you were married" (Line 9-10). (3) She uses simple words and simple sentences. I know that simple doesn't always easy to understand, but it was easy to read and easy to form an image in my brain with colors.
Also, i thought this was an interesting poem because of how she expresses herself despite the sad content. I just can't wait to analyze this poem.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRviJAL_76-wySGIOnqBciP3GYPkV1p1zlIaaZI2sl5XYoNTJaL
  

The second one is "Song of Napalm for my wife" by Bruce Weigl. I chose this poem because I really didn't like it, because it's a long poem. I thought this one going to be a good challenge for me. After I read this poem, it's long but looks like short story more than a poem. Another reason  I chose this poem was because he wrote this poem for his wife. I wondered, why this poem started with a scene of a storm. in the middle of this poem, I thought this poem was a love letter for his wife. But if I'm right, i found out that his wife died and he wrote this poem because he missed her. Also he wrote about the war. I really couldn't understand this poem, so it going to be a difficult
one. Overall, I thought, this poem was sad, but same times it's beautiful and deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment